Steven J’s Beef Stew
Steve cooked this excellent Cowboy Stew for the family PotLuck dinner on Saturday, May 18, in honor of Mom’s visit. He notes: “This is so easy it is not funny!!!
- 4 lb. beef, stew, meat, cut into cubes (or any other meat you choose)
- 4 large onions, cut into large pieces
- 6 carrots, thickly, sliced
- 2 celery, stalks, coarsely, chopped
- 1 large turnip, cut into large pieces
- 1 can tomato soup, use Campbell's Tomato with Basil for added flavour
- 1 clove garlic, finely, chopped
- OPTIONS: Cut up 4 large potatoes in the stew OR serve stew over mashed potatoes. Also, for an even richer stew you might wish to use 2 lbs of the beef and 2 lbs of the lamb.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients in a roaster and place in oven. It is NOT necessary to brown the meat. Cook at 325 degrees for three to four hours. The last half hour thicken
with 3 tablespoons of flour, cornstarch or a powdered gravy mix - mixed with a little cold water so it forms a 'paste that pours'. Also, in that last half hour, add 1
cup of green beans or peas for taste and colour.